Extended Deadline: March 5, 2023
In celebration of the Sheboygan County Museum’s centennial, there is a call for artist proposals to complete visual art using wooden folding chairs as a canvas. The chairs, supplied by Sheboygan County Museum, were made by the historic Sheboygan business Dillingham Manufacturing Company, one of the many companies that made Sheboygan famous for chair manufacturing. Chairs became one of the “Four C’s” that defined the city, others including cheese, churches, and children.
Chairs may be viewed and researched ahead of time using the contact below. Chairs can be picked up by artists upon acceptance. Completed Art Chairs will be returned by the artist to the Sheboygan County Museum on Saturday, June 24, 2023, for an Artist Garden Party. Art Chairs will be delivered by Sheboygan County Museum to local businesses with the artist’s name and artist statement alongside a sign celebrating the centennial. In November and December, Art Chairs will be selected for auction either at the Sheboygan Jubilee fundraiser or during the Holiday Memories 2023 exhibit.
Successful proposals will include:
- An artist statement regarding the Art Chair including the connection between process/product and Sheboygan County.
- Two suggested Sheboygan County locations that host regular visitors for the display and viewing of the Art Chair. Libraries, cultural centers, and local businesses are examples of viable options.
- Art Chairs that can still be used for sitting are preferred, but deviations are welcome for the right project.
- Art Chairs that can keep the original location stamp (see image below) are preferred.
- Proposals will include one to three images of past artwork.
- Proposals should not exceed 300 words.
- Project examples include abstract representations of past Sheboygan festivals, mixed-media collage that transforms the chair into an interactive landscape, or paintings depicting community-driven landmarks.
- Submit proposal as a form at sheboyganmuseum.org/artchair by March 5.
- Questions? Contact Program Coordinator Heather Hanlon at [email protected]
Sheboygan County Museum pledges fifty percent of each Art Chair purchase to the artist. The price of sale is determined by bids during the auction. Artists are encouraged to share information about the auctions to help spread interest in their Art Chair. Artists will also be invited to an Artist Garden Party to celebrate the completion of Art Chairs and to provide an opportunity for connection, celebration, and networking with participating businesses. Artist contact information and statement will be on view with the respective Art Chair at the corresponding business.
Sheboygan Art Chair Timeline, 2023
March 5 – Proposals due
March – Interviews
April 3 – June 23 – Art-making
June 24, 1:00 – 3:00 – Artist Garden Party at Sheboygan County Museum, return Art Chairs
June 24–28 – Sheboygan County Museum delivers chairs to local businesses
June 28 – October 31 – Art Chairs on View
November – Sheboygan Jubilee
December – Holiday Memories 2023
The Sheboygan Jubilee fundraiser is a ticketed event where guests have a unique historical experience, can bid on related items, and support the museum. During the annual display of Prange’s animation pieces at Holiday Memories, thousands of visitors who view the exhibit can also bid on individual chairs.
Regular Museum Hours
February 1 - October 31
Monday - Friday, 10 AM - 5 PM
Saturday, 10 AM - 3 PM
Holiday Memories Hours
Friday After Thanksgiving - December 30
Closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
Monday & Tuesday, Noon - 7 PM
Wednesday - Sunday, Noon - 5 PM
Additional hours by appointment for groups
FREE - Members
$10 - Adults
$7 - Senior Citizens (62+) and Active Military
$5 - Children 6 - 17
FREE - Children 5 and under
The Museum is closed New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year's Eve.